Saturday, March 5, 2011

Easter Cakes

Easter is quickly approaching and I have a couple of ideas to share with you.
The first one is an Easter Basket cake. You start with a round cake and end up with this:

Or this:


I used a couple different techniques on these cakes. Start with a solid color coat of icing. Next, I did a basketweave for half of the cake (you can use two different colors when doing the basket weave and end up with the top picture). I used a star tip and writing tip to make the bunny and Easter eggs. I used a star tip to create a rope border making the handle of the basket. The neatest technique I used was to make the embroidered flowers. I've heard you can only use this technique on fondant, but to tell you the truth, I've never used it on fondant! I've only ever used it on buttercream! You take a cookie cutter in the shape you desire, make an imprint in the icing. Then you trace that with a writing tip of your desired width. After that, you use a damp paint brush (used only for cake decorating! no paint allowed!) to "pull" the frosting inward to the middle of the flower. When done lightly and delicately, you end up with beautiful embroidered flowers!



My next idea uses less techniques, but a steady hand! You can start with a 2 layer round cake and end up with this:

If you can picture it...his ears and bow tie used to be a round cake! The easiest way to accomplish this is to draw it out on a piece of paper first and use that as a stencil when you cut. Otherwise, you could end up with a crooked bow tie and lopsided ears!
Something else that made this cake easier was the grass tip. You can easily make the fur of the bunny rabbit with the multi-holed tip. Then you just ice smooth the tie and add the bunnies features in pink and voila! You have a cute Easter Bunny worthy of a photograph and then eating!
Oh yeah...I added jelly beans for the eyes and nose!




No comments: