Friday, November 14, 2008

Vegas Cake

My sister asked me to make a bridal shower cake for her friend that was going to Las Vegas on her honeymoon. This cake is another example of using fondant as a decoration. The day before delivery of the cake, I made all the decorations. Most fondant decorations need at least a day to dry, especially if you want to pick them up and place them without messing them up. But also keep in mind what the final shape will be on the cake. For example, the cards, which I used a Rubbermaid container as a cookie cutter to cut them out, would ultimately be stacked on top of each other. So if I had made them and let them dry individually, they would not have looked right stacked. So while they were still pliable, I stacked them how I wanted them stacked on the cake so they would dry properly.

On the other hand, the poker chips I let dry individually so they would stack and scatter like real poker chips. To make the poker chips, I used the back side of one of my jumbo tips to cut symmetrical circles and then the back side of one of my normal size tips to make the inner circle. I then used the back side of a paring knife to make all the little notches.

For the “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign, I first printed a picture of it. I then sized that picture to fit on the cake and cut it out. I used that picture to trace and cut out a piece of fondant in the correct shape and to decorate the sign. For the “Welcome” part of the sign, I used a tip to cut out the right size circles to fit on the sign to look more authentic.
For the dice, I worked a piece of fondant into a cube shape. Then I cut out black fondant with the end of a #3 tip. Using water, I “glued” the black dots onto the cube and let dry.
This is a fun and easy cake to make and another way to use fondant without having to eat it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first looked at this the dice and chips looked real!