Saturday, December 5, 2009

Baby's 1st Birthday Cake

It's one of my favorite types of cakes to make. Baby's first birthday!! I have four children, so I have been able to have this experience 4 times. By the 3rd and 4th times, I didn't want the massive mess and waste caused by the one year old! So the idea I would like to pass on today is: smaller is better. You can't just make your baby a cupcake because then people think the baby is getting jipped. But just a little bit bigger than a cupcake is a perfect size. I have baked the last two cakes in a small metal bowl with a 1.5 cup capacity. A glass pyrex bowl would work as well. A bowl is a great shape because you can decorate it to be many things. One of my daughter's birthdays is on Halloween, so I turned her bowl cake into a pumpkin. So you get an idea of the size, it is sitting on an 8 inch cake plate.
For my son's 1st birthday, I just put a decorative border and wrote on the cake. This cake is sitting on a tea cup plate. This size is perfect for a one year old's birthday because it gives them a big enough cake to play with, but not so much to waste and throw all over your kitchen!

No comments: