Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Football Party Cake

My son played flag football this year for the first time. His team was the Cardinals and they went undefeated!! So for their end of the year party, I made this cake. The footballs are made of solid chocolate. They are candy molds and so easy to make! To make the grass for the field I just spread green frosting into a rectangle. Then I used an offset spatula and touched the icing and pulled straight up. This made the icing peak which gave the effect of grass. Then I took a number 3 tip and ran white lines to make the field. I used a number 1 tip to pipe the numbers for each yard line.
And just a little hint on red icing...BUY IT!!! I can't ever get my red icing red enough. It always looks pink. So when I have something that has to be a true red, I buy a little tube of red icing. Most of them come now where you can stick a tip and coupler right on the end. If you can't, just squeeze it into a piping bag and pipe away. That way, you'll always have red icing. Especially on a boys football cake!!

No comments: