Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Multiple Birthdays

I have quite a few nieces and nephews. They are all adorable and I want to help make each of their birthdays special. But I have 4 nieces who all have birthdays within a couple weeks of each other! So, for the family, we try to do one big party to celebrate. Even though this is a really fun day with LOTS of presents, the girls always felt bad that they had to share a cake. So I came up with this idea:
A cake within the cake! I made two sheet cakes. The first one, I just iced and put a border around. With the second sheet cake I made little mini cakes for each girl. I took a sketch of a tiara and cut it out to use as a template. Then I cut out individual tiaras for each of my nieces. This size cake is very difficult to ice, so I used a #16 star tip and put contrasting colors on each one to make it look like a tiara. I then added each girls name to personalize it. I finished the cake by placing each tiara in a corner of the first sheet cake and adding "Happy Birthday" to the center.
When it came time to serve, I was able to take a spatula and pick up each tiara and give each Birthday Girl her own personalized cake! What a fun thing to do for my sweet nieces!

No comments: